Windows Phone Update Debacle; Phones Coming from Verizon, Sprint

Microsoft last week began rolling out the first update to Windows Phone, and it was a bit of a disaster, causing problems on some 10% of the phones — rendering some inoperable. Also, this week we’ll note the imminent arrival of phones from Verizon and Sprint, I’ll point you to more reviews of top apps, and we’ll rejoice in the coming of Angry Birds and other top games to Windows Phone.

Windows Phone 7 Update Problems

For the first time, I really felt sorry for Microsoft. They’re making an extraordinary effort to be a player in this arena and have come out with great technology in their Windows Phone 7. And they seemed to have solved the irritating issues related to updates.

So on February 21 they began making an update to Windows Phone 7 available to some users. As I understand it, this is not the anticipated update with copy/paste and other fixes and features, but an update to the software that handles the updating process.

Immediately there were reports of the update causing some phones to stop working. Two days later, Microsoft posted a response, saying that while the update went perfectly fine for 90% of users, the other 10% had problems. They said that of that 10%, half of the problems could be traced to the individual’s losing his or her Internet connection during the process or to not having enough memory on his or her hard drive to back up the phone.

Microsoft said that because there were problems with the update on Samsung phones, the update was suspended for these users. Also, they said that it could be days, or even weeks, before the update is rolled out to all users of Windows Phone 7.

If you have an update problem, check out the fix offered on Windows Phone Thoughts.

Al in all, it’s not a good situation, and we hope that Microsoft gets all the bugs worked out quickly.

Phones Coming from Verizon and Sprint

As I write this on February 28, there are rumors that Verizon could announce their new Windows Phone as early as today, but so far I haven’t seen anything. Most are expecting an announcement during March.

According to WinRumors, Verizon is expected to come out with the HTC Trophy at $200 with a two-year contract, and Engadget has posted pictures of this new device.

Also, Sprint and HTC announced last week that they’d be releasing the HTC Arrive on March 20. It too will be $200 with a two-year contract. The device has a slideout QWERTY keyboard, 3.6-inch WVGA display, 5-megapixel HD camera, and multitouch capability.

The phones from both Sprint and Verizon will ship with the Windows Phone 7 software update that includes the new features such as copy/paste.

Angry Birds Coming to Windows Phone 7

The Windows Phone Blog posted recently about games that will be coming your way April 6 — games that are among the most popular on other smartphone platforms. They will include the smash hit Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, and more.

Useful Apps for Windows Phone

Some helpful reviews of useful apps continue to appear. Check out the Windows Phone Blog for reviews of Balloon Gunner, the New York Times Newsreader, Flickr, Outdoor Navigation, and Microsoft’s Windows Phone Insider. And Windows Phone Thoughts highlights four apps: Tunein Radio, Feed Me, Sharp Shopper, and PaintMe.

Syndicate content